Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Mini Copenhagen Tour (and more!)

Here's a list of a few things I've been up to...

1. Last Wednesday I had a field study for my Danish Language and Culture class. In the morning we watched Flammen & Citronen (Flame & Citron) which is a Danish movie about World War II, specifically two Danish men made famous by their roles in the resistance movement. [Side note: Our professor brought us freshly baked kanelsnegler (cinnamon buns). And when I say freshly baked, I mean she had to wait to go pick them up because they weren't out of the oven yet when we started the movie. They were still warm when we got them. YUM.] After the movie, we went to the Museum of Danish Resistance and had a tour. It was extremely interesting to learn about the role of Denmark and the Danes during the war. 
After the tour, I wandered around the area and took some pictures. There are so many beautiful churches around here!

St Alban's Church



Gefion Fountain



The Marble Church (or Frederik's Church)





Really cool artwork made up of small reflective pieces that moved in the wind
(See picture and video below)






2. On Saturday, Denise and I went to Ikea. She had never been before and when I heard that, we made immediate plans. I think it was a rather successful trip, and now I have a small collection of plants in my room. Hopefully I can keep them alive. Wish me luck, I might need it.



3. On Saturday evening, I attended the ballet at the Royal Danish Theatre. It was a very good show and had a range from alternative to classical ballet. The dancing was fantastic and the actual theatre was beautiful! We saw the balcony where the queen sits when she comes. Unfortunately, she wasn't there that night. 

4. On Sunday, Tim and I went to my visiting family's house for a big birthday party. Three of the family members' birthdays are close together so they did a joined party with family and friends. It was so much fun to see my visiting family again and meet their friends and extended family. I felt incredibly lucky to be included in the event. I also have to mention that there were three black labs running around the whole time so, needless to say, I was very content. We were there for about six hours and I can't think of a better way I could've spent my Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment